Making it Happen
“Our aim is to implement a programme of Best Start and Best Start Plus initiatives to support preparation for parenthood, parents-to-be, children up to 5, and their families, by working together to give children the best start in life”
By getting it right from the start, Jersey will become an island that works for all children and makes a sound investment in the island’s future.
Best Start for All:
- Launched the application “50 Things to do before you are 5” in Jersey
- Started Makaton training
- Funded the delivery of MAKE IT REAL training
- Funded 30 places to start Level 3 CACHE diploma for Early Years Workforce courses in January 2023
Best Start Plus:
- Funded additional families through Jersey Child Care Trust (JCCT)
- Launched Maybo training to help staff, children and parents benefit from a positive and safer learning environment
- Launched a Speech and Language Pilot with Every Child Our Future (ECOF) and funded one speech and language therapist in Rouge Bouillon School and in Plat Douet school
Best Start Together:
- To develop new ways to engage people into the sector
- Establish a workforce team to develop new career pathways
- Improve outcomes for Early Years Communication and Language
- Maintain regular partnership events to focus on the current issues
- Continue to share “Knowledge makes change” newsletters run by Jersey Child Care Trust (JCCT)
We appreciate childhood as a unique and valuable stage of life and are aware that the quality of childhood experience has lifelong consequences. We want to provide opportunities for all children to become confident and resilient individuals, successful learners and responsible citizens and that they have safe, stable, stimulating and nurturing relationships with their parents and/or carers.
All of our children deserve to have the best start in life, growing up in an environment that nurtures their development, derives safety and security from their parents and care givers, accesses high quality early years services and encourages them to have aspirations for the future and their ability to achieve them. What children experience in their earliest years is key to their success in adulthood.
Our mission is to make Jersey a child and family friendly island
We recognise that all parents want the best for their children and value the vital role played by parents and carers in securing the best outcomes for them in early childhood. During the early years adults have significant impact on children’s health and physical development, social, emotional and personal learning and on the development of their language and communication skills.
We believe that working together with families, communities and partner agencies in an integrated way, will deliver high quality services which will meet the needs of all our children.